Five Benefits of Social Media You Can't Afford to Overlook
July 24, 2017
What does your business look like in California?
January 28, 2014
If you are contemplating a business expansion or reviewing your business model, a good question to ask yourself is "how are others in your industry approaching business?"
As any business owner will testify, running a business is full of trial and error. Companies that stay in business are constantly reviewing what's working and what needs tweaking. They learn from their mistakes. The great companies take the time to learn from mistakes others have made as well.
Finding comparable companies is as easy as searching the Internet. Simply enter your industry and a city and see who pops up! When I execute this search, I look for "small business marketing consulting" and choose a city.
Here's a list of things to check out from like-minded companies in your field:
• Offerings. What do they offer and how do they package it? Do they have offerings that would be complimentary to yours? Do they bundle different products and services? If so, do they discount bundles? If you find you offer many of the same things, save that company's name and refer back to their site often for ideas.
• Promotions. What's on sale? Obviously you'll need to take into account that sidewalk salt won't sell as well in Florida as it does here in the Midwest, but that may mean you need to choose a city with a climate matched to your own.
• Social links. Do they link to social sites? Check them out! What are they talking about? Are their fans interacting with the posts? Emulate the popular posts and see if your fans react in a similar fashion.
• Blog. How often are they blogging? What topics? Are people commenting? If you find they have a lot of good material, consider contacting them and ask if they'd like to be a guest blogger on your site!
• E-newsletter. Sign up for their e-newsletter so you can regularly stay up to date with their focus. Use this as a source of topic ideas for blogging.
If you find a company that you would call your "twin," call them up and chat! Most people are more than happy to share their story of where they've been and how they've accomplished what they have. Be prepared to share your story with them as well. You may even find a road trip is in order to fully immerse yourself in their world!
For more ideas on strategizing your marketing, call Re:think Marketing today!